Can you vote in the UK General Election on June 8th?


IF you are a British citizen living abroad, you can apply to be an overseas voter.

You must have been registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years and be eligible to vote in UK Parliamentary general elections.

If you were too young to register when you left the UK, you can still register as an overseas voter.

You can do this if your parent or guardian was registered to vote in the UK, as long as you left the UK no more than 15 years ago.

An overseas registration expires after 12 months. You must renew your registration each year, and will be reminded to do so by your local Electoral Registration office.

If you have already renewed your registration and it will last until after 8 June 2017, and you are registered as an overseas voter. You do not need to register to vote again.

If you voted as an overseas voter in the EU referendum and your registration has not expired (and will not expire by 8 June 2017) you will be able to vote as an overseas voter on 8 June. You do not need to register to vote again.

If your registration has expired, you will need to register to vote again and do so by Monday 22 May.

You can register to vote online at

You can choose your method of voting depending on your personal circumstances.

If you’re not in the UK you can apply to vote by proxy which is the most recommended method. This means you appoint someone to vote on your behalf.

You can vote by post as an overseas voter but experiences from the 2015 General Election and the 2016 EU Referendum suggests the Spanish post system makes this the least reliable method of voting.