The Hungarian Foreign Minister, Peter Szijjarto, has published a video to Facebook in which he claims the Druzhba oil pipeline will be reconnected in the near future.
The supply of oil to Eastern and Central Europe via the Druzhba pipeline had been temporarily suspended on Tuesday, according to oil pipeline operators in Hungary and Slovakia.
Hungarian oil company MOL said that the suspension in supply had been caused by Russian rockets hitting a power station close to the Ukraine-Belarus border that provides electricity for a pump station, thereby causing the stoppage. This reasoning was echoed by Slovakian provider Transpetrol, who mentioned “technical reasons on the Ukrainian side” without specifying a rocket strike.
Szijjarto said that it is reassuring that the pipeline itself has not suffered damage, but instead it was “just one element of the infrastructure that operates the pipeline, a power station” that had caused the outage.
The Foreign Minister also sought to reassure Hungarians that the country possessed several months of oil reserves and therefore the country’s supply was not at risk during the time the pipeline was not functioning.
Thank you for taking the time to read this article, do remember to come back and check out the EuroNews247 website for all your up-to-date European news stories.