Finland produced over 86% energy in 2021 from non-fossil fuel resources


Finland produced a total of 69.3 tera watt hours of electricity in 2021, out of which, over 86% was generated from non-fossil fuel resources. The remaining 14%%, was produced using peat and fossil energy sources.

As Finland lacks resources of domestic fossil fuels, including petroleum, natural gas or uranium for nuclear power, it is heavily dependent on imports of energy products from neighboring countries. This problem became even worse post the Russian invasion in Ukraine, as Russia decided to halt the supply of gas to the Finland earlier this year.

Due to this reason, the country in the past few years has seen a huge surge in the installation and use of renewable electricity, which accounts for 43 per cent today. On the other hand, nuclear energy accounts for over 33% of the total electricity production in the country.

But despite this, according to official statistics, in 2021 the cost of energy imported from other countries was estimated at EU10.1 billion, eventhough there was a drop of about 6% in energy consumption during the same year.

The value of natural gas imported had also more than double in 2021, even though the quantity of imports were almost the same as the previous year. The cost of imported electricity multiplied to almost three times, even though there was only an increase of only 12.5 percent in 2021.