Elon Musk made the decision after putting a public poll asking if journalist accounts should be suspended for a week or reactivated immediately
Twitter owner Elon Musk has announced that the company will reactivate the accounts of several journalists, who had been suspended from the platform this week.
According to a report by Euronews on Saturday, December 17, Elon made the statement after he held a public poll that asked people to choose between reinstating the journalist accounts immediately, or facing a seven-day suspension. The report said, over 3.69 million people voted in the poll out of which, 59% chose to have the accounts immediately reactivated.
After the poll, Elon tweeted, “The people have spoken, the accounts who doxxed my location will have their suspension lifted now”.
On Thursday, after suspending several accounts, Musk had said, “Same doxxing rules apply to ‘journalists’ as to everyone else”. He had tweeted the statement in reference to the suspension of the account @elonejet, which started the whole controversy. The account automatically reported the real-time location of Elon´s private jets. Elon had stated that the @elonejet had put the life of his family in danger after a stalker managed to track a vehicle belonging to one of his children.
Elon said in a statement, “They posted my exact real-time location, which is literally the coordinates for an assassination, in direct and obvious violation of Twitter’s terms of service”.
Meanwhile, the decision to suspend the journalists accounts was condemned by the United Nations and the European Union on Friday. The report said, some of the accounts taken down belonged to reporters from The New York Times, Washington Post, CNN and Voice of America
Thank you for taking the time to read this article, do remember to come back and check out the EuroNews247 website for all your up-to-date European news stories.