Dutch interior ministry has asked civil workers in the Netherlands to remove TikTok from work phones
The government in the Netherlands has asked its bureaucrats to remove the Chinese video application TikTok from their work mobiles phones.
A statement by the Dutch interior ministry cited by Reuters on Tuesday, March 21 said, “Dutch civil servants will soon no longer be allowed to use the Chinese-owned video app TikTok on their work phones”.
The ministry has also said that “it discouraged on phones distributed by the government the use of all apps from countries with an aggressive cyberprogram targeted at the Netherlands or Dutch interests”.
This move by authorities in the Netherlands comes after other countries in the European Union have also asked government employees to remove TikTok from their phones.
The Dutch intelligence agency AIVD has stated that countries including China, Russia, Iran and North Korea have “an offensive cyber program”, due to which there is a “risk of espionage”.
Earlier this month the government in Belgium also announced a ban on TikTok which is owned by the firm ByteDance from China.
The ban was imposed from using this application on phones and computers belonging to federal government employees.
Thank you for taking the time to read this article, do remember to come back and check out the EuroNews247 website for all your up-to-date European news stories.