Officials in France are investigating a case after poisoned meatballs were placed around site for cross country pet event killing four dogs
An investigation has been launched by the police in France after four dogs were killed at a cross-country pet event when they consumed poisoned meatballs.
According to the police, multiple meatballs laced with poison were left by the suspect in the town of Vauvert in southern France, as per the Mirror.
Some of the animals at the event started to immediately convulse and vomited before they died.
After the dogs died, the investigators searched the entire venue and eventually found around 50 meatballs with “enough poison to immediately kill a dog”.
The venue was then immediately sealed and the event which involved dogs racing with their owners was canceled.
“They were just suffocating with all the foam and everything, “said Bérengère Poletti, who is the organiser of the event from the Federation of Canine Sports and Leisure veterinarian.
Poletti added, “I don’t know who did this, what are the reasons, but it’s just horrible.”
Local reports said that two of the four dogs died after owners ignored the signs and ventured into the area.
DNA samples of the victims have now been sent by the police to find out more details.
Detectives on the scene suspect that the suspect might have used gloves to cover any traces of forensic evidence.
Thank you for taking the time to read this article, do remember to come back and check out the EuroNews247 website for all your up-to-date European news stories.