Cheaper inter-island travel in Spain with subsidised air and ferry fares

DISCOUNTED: Islanders to get up to 75% cheaper fares. Picture credit: Ibiza Holidays

CHEAPER inter-island travel for all FOLLOWING the publication of the General State Budget Act for 2017, the Spanish Ministry of Public Works has applied a 75 per cent subsidy to inter-island air fares for passengers living in both the Canary Islands and the Balearic Islands.

On all flights between the islands, the subsidy will rise from 50 per cent to 75 per cent of the air fare in order to make air travel more accessible for the island populations.

The subsidy on travel by sea will also increase, from 25 per cent to 50 per cent. This subsidy, in combination with the additional 25 per cent subsidised by the Balearic and Canary Island governments, means that passengers can now also benefit from a 75 per cent discount off the price of their ferry tickets, which matches that on offer for air travel.

Over the last few weeks, the Ministry of Public Works has held a series of working meetings with the airlines, shipping companies and ticket booking systems to make the implementation of this measure possible from the first day the law comes into effect.